Crispy chicken with a sweet and savoury touch or Caramelized Chicken Skewers Recipe will definitely be a delicious snack to munch on. Speciality about this dish is we are going to use traditional bamboo skewers which needs some initial preparation time of soaking them in water. If you don’t have these bamboo skewers then no worries, you can very well use the metal skewers. Coming to our most debating topic, gas or charcoal grill if you are a person who doesn’t compromise on taste then you would prefer charcoal grill as it gives a smoky taste to the food cooked on it.
Ingredients needed for Marination:
- 2 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs (chop as 1-inch pieces)
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons Asian fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
Ingredients needed for Caramelization process:
- 2/3 cup light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 1/3 cup Asian fish sauce
- 1/3 cup rice vinegar
- 4 medium cloves garlic, minced
Ingredients needed for Grill:
- 1/4 cup white sesame seeds
- 1/3 cup almonds (sliced)
1) Soak the Bamboo skewers in water for at least half an hour.
Shall we start with Caramelized Chicken Skewers recipe now?
1) Place chicken, fish sauce, orange juice and brown sugar in a large zipper-lock bag. Shake them well so that the chicken gets coated nicely. Refrigerate the chicken bag for a minimum of 2 hours or overnight.
2) Heat a sauce pan over medium heat and add the fish sauce, rice vinegar, brown sugar, orange juice, and honey. Stir well to let the sugar dissolve.
3) Now, add garlic and continue to cook with occasional stirring. You can see a glazy and thick sauce getting formed which needs to coat the back of a spoon easily. Switch off the flame at this stage and set aside.
4) Sprinkle the white sesame seeds and sliced almonds evenly all over a baking sheet.
5) Assemble the marinated chicken pieces on bamboo skewers. Grill the chicken, by turning and brushing with the sauce for every few minutes.
6) Brush the chicken with left over sauce and roll the skewers in the sesame-almond mixture to coat.
7) Pre heat the grill for 10 minutes then you start the grilling process. A properly heated grill can give you excellent results.
8) Grill this coated chicken until the almonds turn lightly toasted.
Serve these crispy caramelized chicken skewers.