This popular Hungarian dish Chicken Paprikash Recipe, is packed with flavourful paprika and chicken. In fact, an interesting tit-bit about this dish is its name, the name got derived from the ample use of Hungarian spice “paprika“.
- 1/4 cup Hungarian sweet paprika
- 4 whole chicken legs ( split into thighs and drumsticks)
- 1 large onion (thinly sliced)
- 2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 11/2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- Noodles or spaetzle or mashed sweet potatoes or rice (for serving)
Are you ready to cook this Hungarian flavour in your kitchen?
1) Heat oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add onions, season with salt, and start frying until the onions turn brown in colour. This process might take around 7-8 minutes.
2) Next, add paprika and fry for a minute or until you get a nice flavour.
3) Add chicken pieces and sprinkle little more salt on it. Turn the chicken pieces with tongs for even cooking.
4) Leave the chicken pieces sit in a single layer at the bottom of the pan. Cover the pan with a tight-fitting lid in a low flame.
5) Let it cook for 30 to 45 minutes, the chicken turns completely tender and make sure that it should easily gets pulled off from the bone.
6) Take out a ladle of juice part from the pan and whisk in the sour cream to it. Add the whisked cream to the pan and mix well. Turn the chicken pieces to coat them evenly in the sauce.
Serve this yummy Chicken Paprikash by pouring the liquid part along with the chicken pieces all over noodles or spaetzle or mashed sweet potatoes or rice. You can even garnish with fresh parsley or dill leaves along with some more paprika.
- You can add a dash of maggi seasoning while cooking the chicken pieces. If you are not aware of Maggie then here it is, a dark coloured sauce similar to that of soya sauce.