Japanese Chicken Egg Rice Bowl Oyakodon
One of the most demanding dish both at restaurants and home is none other than Oyakodon or Japanese Chicken Egg Rice Bowl. Do you know the interesting meaning of the name Oyakodon? The meaning of this word Oyakodon means “Parent and child”, since we are using both the chicken and eggs to cook this dish. This dish is an easy to make and saves huge time in kitchen during your busy days.
- 1 cup dashi
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce (adjust according to your taste)
- 2 tablespoons dry sake
- 1 tablespoon sugar (adjust according to your taste)
- 1 large onion (sliced thinly)
- 12 ounces boneless, skinless chicken thighs (sliced thinly)
- 3 thinly sliced scallions (divided)
- 2 eggs
- 2 stems mitsuba
- 2 cups cooked rice
- Togarashi (for garnishing)
1) Often called as “the Japanese parsley”, Mitsuba is a herb similar to that of parsley and is widely used in Japanese cooking.
2) Wondering what is Togarashi? It is a Japanese chilli powder that comes in two variations. The ichimi is contains only chillies where as shichimi is chillies blend with other flavours. You can choose any according to your taste.
Shall we start cooking this flavourful dish to enjoy it with chopsticks?
1) Take a sauce pan, add dashi, sake, soy sauce and sugar. Leave them to boil over high heat.
2) Add onions and leave it to cook with occasional stirring.
3) After onions are half-cooked, add the chicken pieces and leave them to cook with occasional turning and stirring.
4) Let the chicken gets cooked till the broth reduces to half of its quantity. This process might take around 5 to 7 minutes.
5) Now, drop mitsuba and half of the scallions. The sauce needs to have a perfect combo of salt and sweet taste, so season the broth with soy sauce or sugar or both according to this taste.
6) Reduce the heat and leave it to simmer. Meantime, beat the eggs in a bowl and drizzle it evenly over the chicken and onion mixture.
7) Cover the sauce pane and leave it to cook for few more minutes until the eggs are cooked well.
1) First, transfer the rice to a bowl then pour the needed amount of cooked chicken and egg on top of the rice.
2) Garnish with scallions and togarashi.
Serve the hot Oyakodon or Japanese Chicken Egg Rice Bowl dish immediately.
Points to note:
- If you are using chicken breasts instead of thighs then it might take 3 to 4 fours minutes to get cooked in the broth.