Spicy Sicilian Pizza Recipe Tomato Sauce Pepperoni
Interesting fact behind the name silicon is that this pizza originated from Sicily, Italy which usually took rectangle shape. Our Spicy Sicilian Pizza Recipe Tomato Sauce Pepperoni is indeed spicy and it’s worth giving a try. Bake this pizza to enjoy your family time.
For the Dough:
- 500 gms white bread flour
- 11/2 teaspoons instant (rapid-rise) yeast
- 2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 cup + 7 tablespoon room-temperature water
- 1 tablespoon salt
For the Sauce:
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 can whole peeled tomatoes
- 9 medium cloves garlic pods (chopped roughly)
- 2 teaspoons dried red pepper flakes (alter according to spiciness)
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon sugar
For the Pizza:
- 1 pound deli-style mozzarella cheese (sliced)
- 4 ounces Pecorino Romano cheese (ground)
- 12 ounces natural-casing pepperoni (cut into 1/8-inch slices)
If you are using stand mixer to make the dough then follow these instructions
1) Add flour, yeast, salt and 2 tablespoon olive oil to the bowl of the stand mixer. After fitting the stand mixer to dough hook mix he ingredients on low-speed. Now, add water to mixer and increase the speed to medium and leave it to mix until the dough comes together and no dry flour are seen. Increase speed to medium-high and leave it to mix until dough is smooth and stretchy. The dough needs to stick to the bottom of bowl, but pull away from the sides.
If you are using a food processor then follow these instructions
2) Combine all the ingredients flour, yeast, salt, olive oil and water in the bowl of a food processor fitted with the dough blade attachment. Process this mixture until you see a dough that rides around the blade, then continue processing for 30 more seconds.
If you kneading the dough with hands then follow these instructions
3) Take a large bowl and add flour, yeast, salt. Whisk the ingredients to combine well. Pour olive oil and water, start kneading by hand until dough has been formed and no dry flour are seen. Cover this bowl tightly with plastic wrap and leave it to rest at room temperature for 12 to 24 hours.
4) Pour the 1/4 cup olive oil into a rimmed baking sheet and spread it completely, it need to cover the entire inner surface. Transfer dough to baking sheet, turn in oil until it is thoroughly coated and spread the dough gently. Don’t try to stretch it to fill the sheet, it is okay even if it doesn’t fill. Cover the baking sheet with a plastic wrap and allow to rise at room temperature for 2-3 hours. You can see the dough has slackened and will spread out toward the edges.
5) After removing the plastic wrap from pizza dough. Oil the hands and start working as gently as possible to push and stretch dough into the corners of the pan by pressing out from the centre. Lift each corner of the dough and stretch it till the edge of the pan. Make sure to maintain air bubbles in this process. It should pull back until pan is just filled with dough. Leave it to rest for 20 to 30 minutes, meanwhile you can make the sauce.
6) Take a large saucepan and heat the olive oil in it over medium until shimmering. Add garlic, red pepper flakes and oregano, stir them until aromatic. Add tomatoes break them using a potato masher into fine chunks.
7) Now, add sugar and mix well. Bring to a bare simmer and leave it to cook till you can smell nice flavours, this might take around 15 minutes. Season to taste with salt. Set aside and allow the sauce to cool.
8) Preheat oven to 550°F, 30 minutes before baking.
9) First spread mozzarella cheese slices evenly over surface of pizza. Next, spread the sauce evenly. Spread pepperoni slices all over the surface evenly.
10) Take half of the Romano cheese and sprinkle on top of the pizza.
11) Transfer to oven and bake until pepperoni turns crisp and curled. The bottom of pizza needs to be golden brown, you can look at the bottom of the pizza by lifting the corner with a thin spatula. Some ovens need aluminium foil to be covered on top of the pizza and needs more baking for the bottom portion to turn golden.
12) Remove the pizza from oven. Sprinkle the remaining half of Romano cheese on top of the pizza, slice them and serve immediately.
Enjoy Spicy Sicilian Pizza Recipe Tomato Sauce Pepperoni.